Throwback Episode: Choosing a Tablet for Homeschooling – WHS 198 - The Wired Homeschool - Tech, Tools, & Tips for Homeschooling a Digital Generation
Choosing a tablet for homeschooling can sometimes feel overwhelming. In this throwback episode, I’ll talk about the 7 things you need to know when choosing a tablet for homeschooling.
Sponsor: Visit K12.com/LISTEN or call (855)-628-9529 for more information.
Thanks to all the individual patrons who have supported the podcast. Special thanks go out to Matt Kamla, Lori Silsbee, Winston Crutchfield, & Aaron Hughey.
7 Things to Consider When Buying a Tablet for Homeschooling
* Purpose – Consider how you want to use the device. Will it be only for a single purpose or do you want something more versatile?
* Storage – Do you want expandable storage? Will you be installing a lot of apps or downloading movies? Most Android tablets have expandable storage but how it can be used varies among devices.
* Usage – Tablets are typically designed for one person. Will you share? Sharing is easier with Android and Microsoft.
* Size – 7-inch screen or 10-inch screen (Kindle Fire falls between). Younger kids find the larger icons of a 10 inch tablet easier to manipulate but teens will have no problems with a 7 inch tablet.
* Battery life – Most tablets get about 10 hrs of use from their battery but larger screens generally mean shorter battery life.
* Wi-fi only or cellular? Having a cellular connection makes it more convenient to get connected to the Internet but increases the cost significantly because not only are you paying for the additional hardware but the data plan too.
* Cost – Don’t forget to check for refurbished models. Refurbished iPads cost $50-$100 less but come with the same warranty.
See the original post for more details.
* Join the Facebook page
* Follow @wiredhs
* Circle on Google Plus
* Follow John Wilkerson
Leave a Voicemail
You can call 518-290-0228 to leave me a message or use this convenient widget to record a message right from your computer.
Want to be notified of any upcoming news regarding the podcast or if I’m speaking in your area? Join my spam-free mailing list. You’ll receive monthly updates and news about future projects and I’ll let you know if I’m speaking in your area at a homeschooling convention.
The Wired Homeschool is a proud member of the Tech Podcast Network. For more family-friendly tech podcasts visit techpodcasts.com
Music for the podcast by Kevin Macleod.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsement