Maybe the World ended on Monday, because Facebook was down for three hours. Oh no! Microsoft Surface Pros are ready to ship and some kids in the UK are really happy thanks to Google. We’ve got plenty of cool tech news, a couple of nerdy mobile apps and, of course, the week in Nerd History.
Running Time: 50:10
Mobile App of the Week:
- Get ready for the big game with the official SuperBowl Guide app. Like everything else SB related, its expensive.
- THX tune-up app from the THX Ltd people who invented the spec.
- Some people probably thought the world ended yesterday when 7 Million U-Verse customers had no connectivity, voice or TV for days.
- If you’re thinking about getting one of the new Microsoft Surface Pro devices, be aware that you will only get about 36 of the advertised space after the OS and pre-installed apps take what they need.
- Pi million dollars for hacks.
- Kindle Fires are the hottest Android tablets, outpacing Nexus 7 tablets.
- LG’s new Google TV. Scanning everything in your house. Just kidding. We hope.
- Home automation is getting a little easier thanks to WeMo from Belkin.
- Got cable TV? Need to expand your home network? Need better signal strength? Wi3 may be able to help.
- Bionic eyes almost here!
This Week in Nerd History:
- Jan 27, 1785 – The University of Georgia is founded, the first public university in the United States
- Jan 27, 1939 – First flight of the Lockheed P-38 Lightning.
- Jan 31, 1967 – The man, the myth, the legend. Mike is created.
Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. .
If you enjoyed this episode of Words from Nerds, please .
Subscribe to the WFN podcast. It’s 100% free and 200% fun!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio