Welcome to Episode 51 of the Observed Tech PODCAST. After our special Episode 50 show last week we are back to our normal format today sharing tech news of the past week. In this show we highlight news items such as Bing 411 service shutdown; Windows 8 and your Media Center options; iPhone unlimited data plans regret by AT&T CEO; Google News uses Google+; Nokia sued for fraud by shareholder; best word games for your Windows Phone; free ebooks from Microsoft Press; Xbox 360 4GB bundle for $99 with 2 year contract of $15 per month; Facebook starts using Instagram style filters for photo uploads; reset or refresh Windows 8 without a DVD; 13 million US Facebookers never touch privacy settings; social media and phone use while driving is three times more dangerous than drinking and driving; fare thee well Inside Xbox; Windows 8 and cloud services impacts Windows Live brand; some issues still around for Nokia Lumia 900; IE9 tops 50% in US; Apple security responses are slow; IGN joins Xbox App list; Coinstar invests in EcoATM for recycling old cell phones; Foursquare charges $10 bucks to list your venue right now; Microsoft settles dispute with Barnes and Noble then invests in new company with them and new support wizards at Microsoft Support.
We close the show out with a look at the past week on WindowsObserver.com.
Check out the notes below for links to all the sources.
Enjoy and as always thanks for listening!
- Download Episode 51
- Subscribe in iTunes
- Subscribe in Zune
- Subscribe to Observed Tech PODCAST RSS Feed
- Subscribe to Observed Tech PODCAST by Email
- Bing 411 to be discontinued on June 1st (Liveside)
- If VLC can ship a free DVD player, why can’t Microsoft? (ZD Net)
- iPhone Owners: AT&T Chief Wishes You Had Paid for All That Data (Mashable)
- Google News Buddies Up To Google+ With Further Integration (The Blog Herald)
- Nokia hit with class action lawsuit; fraud claims ‘without merit,’ it says (ZD Net)
- Best Word Games for your Windows Phone (WP Central)
- Free ebooks: Great content from Microsoft Press that won’t cost you a penny (Microsoft Press)
- Microsoft to Offer Xbox 360 with Kinect for $99?! (Chip Chick)
- Xbox 360 4GB Bundled with Kinect and Xbox Live Two Year Offer from Microsoft Store (this offer went live right after I finished recording the show)
- Facebook Launches Two-Filter ‘Instagram’ on ‘Facebook for Every Phone’ (Mashable)
- How To Reset Or Refresh Windows 8 Without DVD (Into Windows)
- 13 million US Facebook users don’t change privacy settings (ZD Net)
- Social Media More Dangerous Than Drink Driving (So Don’t Tweet Behind The Wheel), Say Police (All Twitter)
- Changes for Inside Xbox (U.S.) (Major Nelson)
- Cloud services for Windows 8 and Windows Phone: Windows Live, reimagined (Building Windows 8 Blog)
- Lingering issues with the Nokia Lumia 900 (WP Central)
- Foursquare announces new $10 verification fee for businesses to claim their venue (The Next Web)
- Apple’s security response: slow, reactive, and generally ineffective (Ed Bott)
- IGN Launches on Xbox LIVE (Major Nelson)
- Internet Explorer 9 pips past the 50% mark on Windows 7 in the United States (The Next Web)
- Coinstar invests in phone recycling kiosk company (Tech Flash)
- Microsoft Releases Windows Games Diagnose and Fix Software (gHacks)
- Find solutions at support.microsoft.com (MSDN Blogs)
- Microsoft and Barnes & Noble settle patent dispute; create new subsidiary (ZD Net)
WindowsObserver.com Week in Review:
- Windows Phone App Flow: The App Bazar
- Amazon Cloud Drive Desktop App is a Swing and a Miss
- Advance Notice for April 2012 Patch Tuesday Updates
- Will Windows Live Writer Survive the Microsoft Windows Live Rebranding?
- Creative Facebook Timeline Picture Use by 16 Year Old from UK
- The Value of Social Media for Communications During a Family Emergency
- Windows Phone App Flow- Saturday Night @ the Movies
Date Produced: 07 May 2012
Format: MP3, 128KBPS
This PODCAST is a member of the TechPodcast Network.
- Observed Tech PODCAST Episode 66
- Observed Tech PODCAST Episode 63
- Observed Tech PODCAST Episode 61
- Observed Tech PODCAST Episode 37
- Observed Tech PODCAST Episode 70