The Indians continue their offseason of acquisitions, adding CF Michael Bourn to the fold. With a revamped outfield and some much-needed power, can the Tribe compete in 2013? Or will the pitching be their Achilles’ heel? It should be a fun season down at the ole ballpark this year.
Hosts: Tom Kresic
Running Time: 40:29
1Q: Indians Sign Michael Bourn
- A 4 year, $48M deal for the former Atlanta CF
- 30 years old, with great speed
- He will play CF and bat leadoff
- He stole more bases in last 5 years than anyone in MLB
- Drew Stubbs will move to RF. Brantley will play LF
- Indians should have fastest OF (pitchers will love the hits they prevent for them)
- Kipnis (31 SB), Stubbs (30 SB) will add to the speed at top of the order
- Francona wants this team to run in ’13
2Q: A different line-up for the Tribe in 2013
- Gone are: Hafner, Choo, Sizemore (didn’t play in 2012), Kotchman, Hannahan, Damon.
- In are: Bourn, Stubbs, Swisher, Reynolds and Chisenhall (returning from injury)
- more power, probably more Strike Outs (though we had plenty in ‘12), a better outfield defensively
- Continued improvement of guys like Kipnis. Asdrubal is in shape this Spring, unlike last few years.
- Likely starters (not the batting order)
- C Carlos Santana
- 1B Nick Swisher
- 2B Jason Kipnis
- SS Asdrubal Cabrera
- 3B Lonnie Chisenhall
- LF Michael Brantley
- CF Michael Bourn
- RF Drew Stubbs
- DH Mark Reynolds
3Q: Pitching will be the key for the Indians
- Will we have a decent rotation?
- We added Brett Myers (took him from CHISOX) but he’s been a relief pitcher of late.
- We traded for young gun Trevor Bauer, who has great arm but appears to be a head case.
- Carlos Carrasco back from Tommy John surgery. What will we get from him?
- Masterson and Ubaldo at the top of the lineup are KEY.
- Ubaldo had most losses (17) and Wild Pitches (16) last year. He says he had bad mechanics. We’ll see. Hopefully he corrected them.
- Masterson struggled with control. Aside from 2011 when he was great, he has struggled with control his whole career. Was 2011 a fluke or can he turn it around?
- Zach McAllister pitched well. Will he continue to improve in 13?
- 5th starter: choose from Carlos Carrasco, Trevor Bauer, Dice K, Scott Kazmir, Corey Kluber. Does anyone here really excite you?
- Our rotation is a bunch of average guys. Best case is they are all innings eaters and maybe one of them has a > .500 record.
4Q: What about the Bullpen?
- Chris Perez – can he repeat his outstanding year?
- Vinnie Pestano – best as a setup man but showed he can close in a pinch
- Joe Smith
- Nick Hagadone – young guy on the rise
- Can the starters eat enough innings to keep the pen rested?
Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. .
If you enjoyed this episode of GameTime Cleveland, please .
Subscribe to the GTC podcast. It’s 100% free!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio