The Indians continue their offseason of acquisitions, adding CF Michael Bourn to the fold. With a revamped outfield and some much-needed power, can the Tribe compete in 2013? Or will the pitching be their Achilles’ heel? It should be a fun season down at the ole ballpark this year.
Hosts: Mike Kresic, Tom Kresic
Running Time: 40:29
1Q: Indians Sign Michael Bourn
- A 4 year, $48M deal for the former Atlanta CF
- 30 years old, with great speed
- He will play CF and bat leadoff
- He stole more bases in last 5 years than anyone in MLB
- Drew Stubbs will move to RF. Brantley will play LF
- Indians should have fastest OF (pitchers will love the hits they prevent for them)
- Kipnis (31 SB), Stubbs (30 SB) will add to the speed at top of the order
- Francona wants this team to run in ’13
2Q: A different line-up for the Tribe in 2013
- Gone are: Hafner, Choo, Sizemore (didn’t play in 2012), Kotchman, Hannahan, Damon.
- In are: Bourn, Stubbs, Swisher, Reynolds and Chisenhall (returning from injury)
- more power, probably more Strike Outs (though we had plenty in ‘12), a better outfield defensively
- Continued improvement of guys like Kipnis. Asdrubal is in shape this Spring, unlike last few years.
- Likely starters (not the batting order)
- C Carlos Santana
- 1B Nick Swisher
- 2B Jason Kipnis
- SS Asdrubal Cabrera
- 3B Lonnie Chisenhall
- LF Michael Brantley
- CF Michael Bourn
- RF Drew Stubbs
- DH Mark Reynolds
3Q: Pitching will be the key for the Indians
- Will we have a decent rotation?
- We added Brett Myers (took him from CHISOX) but he’s been a relief pitcher of late.
- We traded for young gun Trevor Bauer, who has great arm but appears to be a head case.
- Carlos Carrasco back from Tommy John surgery. What will we get from him?
- Masterson and Ubaldo at the top of the lineup are KEY.
- Ubaldo had most losses (17) and Wild Pitches (16) last year. He says he had bad mechanics. We’ll see. Hopefully he corrected them.
- Masterson struggled with control. Aside from 2011 when he was great, he has struggled with control his whole career. Was 2011 a fluke or can he turn it around?
- Zach McAllister pitched well. Will he continue to improve in 13?
- 5th starter: choose from Carlos Carrasco, Trevor Bauer, Dice K, Scott Kazmir, Corey Kluber. Does anyone here really excite you?
- Our rotation is a bunch of average guys. Best case is they are all innings eaters and maybe one of them has a > .500 record.
4Q: What about the Bullpen?
- Chris Perez – can he repeat his outstanding year?
- Vinnie Pestano – best as a setup man but showed he can close in a pinch
- Joe Smith
- Nick Hagadone – young guy on the rise
- Can the starters eat enough innings to keep the pen rested?
Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet
If you enjoyed this episode of GameTime Cleveland, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe.
Subscribe to the GTC podcast. It’s 100% free!