This week I got Brendan Tully from the Search Engine Shop to talk about online business fundamentals, and how business owners need to get their USP ironed out before asking for more traffic to increase sales. We also go through a case study of the best practices at Didgeridoo Breath, the #1 didgeridoo online store in Australia and North America.
The Search Engine Shop is a digital consultancy with offices in Perth & Sydney. They work with small, medium and big business to ultimately help clients make more money by properly using technology and the internet.
- 03:00 - Limits of being a pure SEO firm
- 04:00 - Misconceptions of E-Commerce beginners
- 04:20 - Why traffic is not the magic bullet to success
- 05:00 - Brendan's model of online business fundamentals
- 07:10 - High priced vs low priced items
- 07:40 - Quick traffic wins - Google Merchant Center and Google Products
- 08:55 - Why you need a both organic and paid traffic strategy
- 09:50 - Paid search and mobile/tablet search results
- 10:20 - Being everywhere and getting eyeballs
- 10:40 - What is a didgeridoo, and a case study of Didgeridoo Breath
- 12:35 - Communicating with a client on what they need to do online
- 13:20 - Finding and qualifying the right client as a business consultant
- 14:10 - Content marketing and the second business of Didgeridoo Dojo
- 15:20 - Measuring the ROI of content marketing
- 15:55 - Why outsourcing social media doesn't work
- 17:00 - Increasing conversions with video marketing on each product page
- 18:00 - Capitalizing on video, audio, and text in product descriptions
- 18:25 - Brendan's view on long-term SEO in the upcoming years
- 19:40 - Three conversion "quick-wins" for E-Commerce businesses
- 21:40 - Using live-chat tools with your website visitors
- 21:55 - Importance of high quality commercial photography
- 22:30 - Why a mobile commerce website is not for everyone
- 24:20 - Getting past the hype around mobile marketing and websites
- 24:50 - How to evaluate if you need a mobile website
- 26:20 - Does email marketing still work, and how powerful is it?
- 27:25 - What content should you put in your email newsletter?
- 27:45 - Challenges for small businesses moving into the next year
- 28:00 - Two key questions to answer for long-term business success
- 28:30 - Tips for hiring an external business consultant
- 29:30 - Business diagnostic tool and getting clients to re-frame their thinking
Interested in online eCommerce master classes about SEO, marketing, and conversions? Help choose a topic by filling out a one question survey at www.buildmyonlinestore.tv