Where is the E-commerce market at right now? This week I got Shopify's Chief Platform Officer Harley Finkelstein to discuss the origins of Shopify, industry trends, and what makes a business successful from overseeing 30,000+ E-Commerce stores. You can follow Harley on Twitter at www.harleyf.com.
- 03:10 - Origins of the Shopify platform
- 03:40 - Market positioning of Shopify
- 04:50 - Giving up a legal career to join a startup
- 05:20 - How easy is it to start on Shopify?
- 06:30 - Where is Shopify at now?
- 06:50 - Retail sales vs eCommerce sales in North America
- 07:30 - How eCommerce will impact physical retail in the future
- 08:30 - E-Commerce and the technology adoption curve
- 10:30 - Democratization of online retail
- 11:50 - Common themes in successful stores on Shopify
- 12:45 - The two biggest categories of stores on Shopify
- 14:20 - Kickstarter and Shopify
- 15:00 - Being the authority in your market
- 16:20 - The boutique shopping experience offline and online
- 17:10 - General background of Shopify users
- 18:00 - Biggest pain points with new store owners
- 19:45 - Creating loops in your marketing to grow sales
- 20:05 - Shopify's view of mobile commerce
- 20:30 - "Snacking" on your mobile during downtime
- 21:15 - Shopify's mobile platform for store owners
- 22:20 - The uncertain future of big box retail
- 24:00 - Six months is the new six years
- 24:20 - Will same day shipping be disruptive?
- 25:10 - Is free shipping a standard now?
- 25:30 - What makes Shopify stand out from the competition?
- 27:35 - Open source vs hosted E-Commerce platforms
- 28:25 - Shopify businesses that you should check out
Interested in online eCommerce master classes about SEO, marketing, and conversions? Help choose a topic by filling out a one question survey at www.buildmyonlinestore.tv