How shall we educate the masses? Surely this is a question pondered by the wealthy elites–how best to create and maintain a system of indoctrination and preparation for the human workforce.
In this episode of The Axiom Amnesia Theory, Heit & Cheri challenge you to think differently about the way you view education and learning. Should the individual sacrifice for the sake of the group in learning environments? Should students be allowed to excel ahead of the class? Should some be left behind?
Topics discussed include literacy, the educational system, group learning, individualism vs collectivism, and how to deal with students who are ahead of the class and others who fall behind, and more!
Call us at 202-446-1886 and let us know what you think about the show.
Listen To The Axiom Amnesia Theory Now!
Help to spread independent thinking and donate $1 now!
- Discussion about literacy.
- Discussion about Afghan women learning to read and write, using a cell phone made specifically for that purpose. Technology is being used to help people enrich their lives.
- If you know how to read and write, you don’t have to rely on people as heavily. It also allows you some personal freedom.
- Do you think people who are considered “literate” really have good reading comprehension? Not really.
- How does this affect their communication and understanding? It makes it much easier for the “message” to get lost when people don’t have good comprehension. It also complicates things when people “misuse” words.”
- Discussion about what happens when the speaker understands the word definitions, but the audience? The message is lost to a degree, depending on the audiences’ understanding.
- There is still some responsibility on the part of the speaker to convey the message in a way that the listener/reader can understand it. They have responsibility because they are the ones crafting the message that they hope to communicate.
- Discussion of having a dumbed down nation.
- Should you meet people where they are or should you help them to come to your level (if you are further along in understanding)? While you can maintain your communication on a higher level, there is still some onus on the communicator to give people the tools to bring them up to that level.
- This will allow people to understand at the time, then go back and brush up on whatever they need to learn to maintain at that level.
- Some people are communicating to portray a certain image, letting people know that they have more sophisticated language skills.
- As a communicator, you should know your audience–what they probably will and won’t understand.
- Discussion about asking about things that you don’t understand.
- People spend a lot of time communicating to the lowest common denominator. This leaves more advanced people needing to seek out other communicators so as not to be stifled by the needs of others.
- Discussion about trying to help bring people up to your level.
- When we have conversations with people, we should ask about the things that we don’t understand. This helps us all to do this.
- Discussion about trying to have conversations on topics about which we don’t know enough.
- Discussion about how Heit & Cheri look things up daily in order to clarify their understanding and learn new things.
- Discussion when people are held back because the rest of the group is at a certain level.
- Discussion about Albert Einsein and what solitude that it took for him to come up with his theories. It didn’t take a team of people, but it did require him to spend tremendous amounts of time alone.
- People like Einstein ultimately benefit the group, but they have to be allowed individual pursuits so as not to be held back by the group.
- Discussion about enjoyment of solitude and the time sacrifice that must be made in order to become an “Einstein.”
- Discussion about why the “we’re gonna do things as a group” approach doesn’t always work.
- Education tends to approach learning as a group project.
- People can also learn individually, and be ahead of the class. Consequently, people can be stifled when they have outlearned their peers.
- Society and culture are advanced both by the contributions of the collective and the individual.
- Discussion about the difficulty of individualists cooperating with the hierarchal structure of groups.
- Discussion about working or racing toward solutions simultaneously, but in separate groups–or even as individuals.
- Society benefits when we let those who can run the race faster excel and leave the group behind.
- Discussion about how teachers tell students not to read ahead while the class is working together.
- We are stifling some of the best minds among us by having the attitude that we MUST all work together.
- Discussion about how people are forced to follow instructions without deviating.
- Discussion about learning to read and follow instructions. Example of a recipe is given.
- In science lab, you have all of the instructions there, but the overseer (teacher) says “don’t move forward until everyone else is ready.”
- This group mentality can really limit people who have great potential, causing them to disengage and lose interest.
- Discussion about whether the individual should make every sacrifice for the sake of the group. This actually can hurt the group in the long term. Just think about how much Einstein would have accomplished if he had to “wait up” every time someone didn’t understand or questioned his logic.
- Suppose you have a genius, and are teaching them as if they are average. If you treat them like they are average, they may well never reach their potential.
- Discussion about how some behavior problems are connected to being bored in school due to lack of challenging material.
- When it comes to economics, people have no problem leaving others behind.
- Discussion about how people enjoy holding other people back. They hold people back so that they and their children can advance.
- How should you handle people who cannot keep up with the group in school.
- Discussion about lattice math for multiplication.
- There is more than one way to think of things despite having a standardized educational system.
- Maybe the people who are exceptional can help the ones who are not. Some people will be ahead, and some will be behind the group. Everyone should enjoy in the benefit of the accomplishments of those ahead as well as the average people.
- If I can walk, then I can push someone up a ramp in a wheelchair.
- Many times, those who excel think of things differently anyway. So, perhaps their different ways of thinking can help those who are falling behind.
- Discussion about how it’s the average people making the rules for everyone.
- Discussion about the genius of Bernie Madoff–he should have used his powers for good instead of bad.
- What is intelligence and what does it indicate?
- If you know how to read and write effectively it opens up so many doors.
- It takes effort and work to perfect reading and writing skills, ut it’s well worth it. How many other things do we put effort toward that don’t have nearly the benefit?
- Literacy: The Key To Individual And Intellectual Independence
- Episode 001: The Axiom Amnesia Theory
- Sound Familiar? Lost In Translation And Hoping To Be Understood
- Episode 028: Nothing But A Sacrificial Fraud
- Episode 095: The Relationship Hustle